Monday 21 October 2013

An Elizabethen Quote

               

                   '''Tush I can dye my haire, be it never so black, I can make it shine like a globe
                   in a little space. Also to tire up my head I have such a knack, that some maides
                   will delight to follow my trace. I can lay out my haire to set out my face.
                    Oh, To be faire and feate nice and neat, is a gay thing. To colly and kiss my
                    pleasure it is, for all your new learning.''
This quote is Robin Conscience's sister defining her brothers moral child.
  
Richard Corson fashion in make-up from ancient to modern times, Revised edition 2008


So basically, I think the quote is saying that she is able to dye her hair so its never going to be black , that she is really good at styling her hair so much in fact that the maides want to be able to do what she can do with her hair. to have neat and tidy heair is a gay thing but in those times I'm taking gay for its orginal meaning of being happy, so I'm assuming she is saying that by having neat and tidy hair makes her happy and so therefor its a good thing. Or if the quote is meaning gay as in being stupid or something like that it would make since as in Elizabethen times, if your hair was big and striking looking ment that you were powerful. So they had outrageous hair styles but they were very much contained and structured looks. The fair hair is referencing to Queen Elizabeth's hair which was very fair as a young girl and then became a more fair ginger colour whch turned into a deeper colour as she grew older, but every woman wanted to have fair hair as to be like Elizabeth . To have Black hair was to show almost being against her, as the Queen of Scots kept her hair black this was to show she was against Elizabeth.




I think this is a good modern interpretation of the Elizabethan hair style from the quote. As the quote talks about being neat and tidy this hair is styled in a neat and tidy way, she talks about it shinning like a globe referencing a round shape and this surly has a round shape to it . It talks about having fair hair and for it to suit your face . The hair also has the same kind of texture that the women of the Elizabethan times would of had , that kind of fizzy crisp feel and look to it. Which this has lots of. Its also a big powerful statement hair style which references power and authority.   


Photo of hair gathered to the crown

This Image shows a neat and tidy hair style that is ''shinny in a small space''  it has a bun in a circle shape which referencing the globe , it is an upstyle which relates to the ''To tire up my head I have such a knack'' so it is referencing to a shinny neat and tidy upstyle which is what this hair style is.  It even has the feathers and pieces in it which is very similar to what the women would of worn in the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment